Skip to main content

Video creations


I've been really into recording and editing various videos over the past year. Ever since I started my Multimedia & Web Development course, in Cavan Institute, it has really kickstarted my love for video creation. Check out the course here: Multimedia & Web Development. I completed my level 5 Quality & Qualifications Ireland(QQi) in May 2017, and I have started year 2 in September 2017. 

Editing is typically the final process that happens before a video gets to you for final viewing. If you've made a video yourself, you'll know it can be quite time consuming at times. For the module Digital movie processing in Cavan Institute. we planned our assignments before we even started recording, or editing. It's a very important step that involves research(may it be sound effects, music, genre, style and so ,much more). Storyboards are a crucial element of any video project. 


A storyboard is a sequence of drawings, typically with some directions and dialogue, representing the shots planned for a film or television production. We were shown in the first week the programme we would be using called Adobe Premiere Pro. A subscription for the Adobe Creative Cloud varies in prices which can be found here by clicking this link Adobe Price Plans

The interface of the software itself at first can look daunting to new users. I myself thought it looked complicated, with so many panels. 


The main user interface elements are as follows:

•     Timeline panel: This is where you’ll do most of your actual editing. You view and work on sequences (the term for edited video segments or entire projects) in the Timeline panel. One strength of sequences is that you can nest them (place sequences inside other sequences). In this way, you can break up a production into manageable chunks or create unique special effects.

•     Tracks: You can layer—or composite—video clips, images, graphics, and titles on an unlimited number of tracks. Video clips on upper video tracks cover whatever is directly below them on the Timeline. Therefore, you need to give clips on higher tracks some kind of transparency or reduce their size if you want clips on lower tracks to show through.

•     Monitor panels: You use the Source Monitor (on the left) to view and trim raw clips (your original footage). To view a clip in the Source Monitor, double-click it in the Project panel. The Program Monitor (on the right) is for viewing your sequence. Some editors prefer working with only one monitor screen. The lessons throughout this book reflect a two-monitor configuration. You can change to a single-monitor view if you choose. Click the Close button on the Source tab to close that monitor. In the main menu, choose Window > Source Monitor to open it again.

•     Project panel: This is where you place links to your project’s media files: video clips, audio files, graphics, still images, and sequences. You can use bins—similar to folders—to organize your assets.

•     Media Browser: This panel helps you browse your hard drive to find footage. It’s especially useful for file-based camera media.

•     Effects panel: This panel contains all the clip effects you will use in your sequences, including video filters, audio effects, and transitions (docked, by default, with the Project panel). Effects are grouped by type to make them easier to find.

•     Audio Mixer: This panel (docked, by default, with the Source and Effect Controls panels) is based on audio production studio hardware, with volume sliders and panning knobs. There is one set of controls for each audio track on the Timeline, plus a master track.

I love to watch tutorial videos on Premiere Pro. Here's 2 that will help you get started. 

My very first video I created was for my first assignment. We were split into teams, and our brief was to create a short advertisement of our choice. It was great fun, and everyone brought different ideas to the table. In the end we decided to do a mobile phone advertisement. We got to use the cameras and tripods that Cavan Institute provided. Below you can see my finished version. Everyone edited there own footage, so no two were alike, even though we all used the same footage.


For the second assignment we had a choice if we wanted to do a short music video, or enter our video into the Donal Walsh Foundation Short Film Competition. The theme was "Make every second count" I was the only one on the course that decided to do it. It required the same steps as the first assignment. But with more knowledge how to record and edit, I found I put more thought and consideration, into what I was recording and editing. 
Check out my video below:

In between my college work, I recorded some of my own small videos at home, in my spare time. I had always wanted to get started with video editing, and now that I had some experience behind me, it was becoming quite addictive and fulfilling to see the finished video. Below is a short video I recorded at home. I remember it been such a wet and miserable day outside. Instead of been lazy and unproductive, I decided to create something I had in mind for quite some time. 




My final and third assignment on my Movie Processing module, was by far my favorite to complete. We were asked to create a movie trailer. I decided to do a scary/horror genre for mine. As I'm a massive fan of horror movies, I knew it was the right fit for me. There was more work involved for it. Including writing a short script, prop list, location ideas, narration/voice-over, as well as the usual storyboards. I spent almost a month on and off recording and editing, when I had some spare time. I really thought about what sound effects, look and theme I would use. I had some help from family and friends along the way also. 
Check out my finished video below:



It has really been an amazing learning experience for me, and I'm so glad I decided to do this course in Cavan Institute. We do other modules of course, like Web Authoring(coding for websites), to Digital Imaging(creating illustrations,logos and much more). But the video side has grabbed my attention from the start. After I finish my course in May 2018, I would hopefully like to pursue this further. 
Below I will share some other videos I have recorded when I have the time.


Be Brave- A story that it's ok not to be ok

Loughanleagh Mountain- The beauty on our doorstep

A week gone by- Recording what surrounds me every day

If there's always something you've wanted to do in life. Learn a new skill/hobby/interest, take the chance and seize the opportunity when it arrives. We are all creative people in some shape or form. it's just a matter of how do we express it. 


Thanks so much for taking the time to read and view my blog. Like always if you have any questions or feedback, don't hesitate to ask, or leave a comment. 
Until next time.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Months

Hey guys, I was reading some of my past blog posts, and I just realized it's been over 3 months since I last posted one. Summer has come and gone so quickly, too quick in fact. To be honest we did get 2/3 weeks of amazing sunshine, so I'm not complaining. So much happened over the past couple of months. As always I've been super busy with my trusty Nikon camera. I took so many new photos, and recorded some new video footage also. In May I finished my Multimedia & Web Development course at  Cavan Institute . It was an amazing 2 years, and to my surprise I received a full 9 distinctions on all my modules, which I was extremely happy with. Onto the next chapter, which in the new year, I'm hoping to start a part time film & Television course in Dublin city...... excited.  I purchased a new Sigma 70-210 macro lens way back at the start of the year also, but I only properly had the chance to test it out during the summer. I'm not gonna lie, macro is somet

My Erasmus + 2018

It's been well over two months since I've returned from 2 weeks, in the stunning Eastern Finnish Town of Mikkeli. I had the opportunity to apply for the  Erasmus +  Programme, as part of my  Multimedia & Web Development   year 2 course at  Cavan Institute .  The Erasmus + Programme is a European funding programme established in 1987, and offers myself and many other university students, the fantastic possibility of studying or doing an internship abroad in another country for a period of at least 2 months and a maximum 12 months. Myself, and two other fellow students from my course Pawel & Shaine, and also two girls called Lauren & Nicole from the Childcare course all traveled to Mikkel, on the 27th of January. We flew into Amsterdam, to get a connecting flight to Helsinki. Our tutor Donna Mc Carron, and Stacy Gardenir also accompanied us throughout. From Helsinki we got 3 trains, and one final taxi to reach our hotel. It was a long day of t

Photoshop and Lightroom Edits

As I have a massive interest in photography, the software and applications I use are just as important as the equipment itself. In my opinion r arely do my photos come out of the camera exactly as I had envisioned. So before uploading to my various social medias, I put my photos through the post processing phase. This is where my raw photos are enhanced, adjusted, toned, and sharpened to give me the final image I wanted to deliver.   The big question is: Photoshop vs Lightroom. The most widely used, and most popular has undoubtedly been Adobe Photoshop, since its first version’s release in 1990. The software has been used by amateurs and professionals alike year after year, and is considered an essential part of most photographer’s editing process. I myself have both programs, and use each equally to edit my photography.  Lets start with Photoshop first With Adobe Photoshop, you can quickly and easily import photos into the software. Once imported, everythin